Sunday, June 13, 2010

Daily Bible Reading

So I plan on reading the Bible in a year. I am using the chronological reading sheet Asbury U gave all its students and employees. I did well for a bit, fell of the bandwagon, got back on, and then fell off again...now I am trying to catch up. I could elaborate, but want to get to some reflections from what I read today.

Psalm 19 is amazing to me. Verses 1-4 tell us that the universes itself, the sky, the stars, the sun, and especially Earth, declare the glory of God and that
"There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out to all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."
I love that. God revealed in everything. As mewithoutYou sings: "In every blade of grass..."

Verses 7-11 have more great stuff. They show us that the law of the LORD, his statutes, his commands, are not burdens we sometimes believe them to be. They "revive the soul" and "make the simple wise." This is not how I usually think of the laws of God, but I should. I need a mindset correction to happen. Perhaps viewing my efforts of keep the laws of God as a process that makes me wise and will revive my soul would make saying no to sin a bit easier.

But the Psalm doesn't stop there. It keeps rocking my world. Verses 12-13 say:
"Who can discern his (own) errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression."
Who doesn't need this piece of help? We get so caught up in ourselves sometimes, and do so little self reflection, that we do not see our own errors. Holy Spirit, show them to us! Reveal our hidden sins so we can repent. But don't stop there. Help me, strengthen me, empower me to keep from the willful sins I want to commit.

Finally verse 14, a famous verse: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

All that said, just read it yourself. I hope it speaks to you like it speaks to me. Or I hope it speaks to you in a completely different way and you will share it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment