Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Creation

For the past three weeks my brother-in-law Alex and I have been getting together to write. We do so once a week for perhaps 2 hours. He is writing almost every day, but my writing is usually limited to this 2 hour period. I LOVE it. I have heard it said that we are most like our creator when we create. I don't know if that is true, but I do know the rush of creating something new, something that did not exist until I created it.

I have felt this rush the strongest when a band I was in (Impossiblistic in high school, Kavichi in college) finished playing through for the first time a new song. And I would think, "This song did not exist until just now. In the last 4-5 minutes we have created a new thing." It felt incredible.

Over the years my desire to create has been manifested in different ways: song writing, painting, craft projects, etc. Some things I create are good and some are not. The point for me is not to make something worthy of note, but simply to create. Of course I would like my creations to be good songs, good art, etc. I did manage to paint one giant piece a few years back that I am proud of. However, that is not the point. The point is to let my creative desires loose.

Yesterday, while mowing the yard, I listened to a rap CD I made in college. (Most of the songs were written in high school but I didn't know how to record in a quality way until college.) I wasn't proud of very much of what I heard yesterday. What I was proud of is that I was attempting to create, that I was engaging the artistic side of my brain back then. I don't ever want it to stop. Which is why I am so happy to have these precious 2 hours each week with Alex where we challenge each other to write. If nothing I write ever gets published, oh well. That wasn't the point anyway. The point is to engage in the act of creation and to let the act itself grow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment