Thursday, September 2, 2010

Avatar: The Last Airbender




When I went to Florida in July to visit my younger brother, one of the things he wanted to do was watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. I had heard good things about the show and while down there we knocked out a large portion of the show. Once I got back to KY I kept watching the show via Netflix. Abby got into it with me and for 2 weeks it was our favorite thing to do. We finished it a few weeks back. Here are my thoughts:

1. The show is light on the annoying parts of anime. The big eyes and huge sweat drops are only used occasionally and are actually funny most of the time. The truth is that the few times the show does go heavy on the anime are the times the show is poking fun at anime.

2. The humor grows on you. At first I found the humor to be childish and dumb. Then I realized, "This show was made for children", got over myself, and just accepted it for what is was. After season 1 I found the entire show very funny.

3. Prince Zuko has the best character arc and is by far the most interesting character4. The show does a pretty good job of depicting traditional Asian culture, especially the honor/shame motif and Buddhist values.

5. The show posited solid philosophical questions with no easy answers.

6. The show at times is overly simple and rushes character development.

7. I will NOT see the movie. People have told me its bad. Why would I waste my time watching a poorly made movie, especially when I have watched such great source material.

Overall verdict of the show as a whole (3 seasons): 7.5 out of 10. If you grew up watching cartoons, enjoy indulging your inner child, and appreciate Asian culture you will enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment