Monday, August 9, 2010

Fun at the Thrift Store


Since I was in high school I have really enjoyed thrift stores. I like the idea of finding fun, funny clothes (for a themed party) or nice clothes (like khakis and a polo for work) or books, records, CDs all for cheap. Honestly, half of my book collection and almost my entire record collection has come from the thrift store.

I could go on about why I like thrift stores for a while, so I will just cut to the point of the post. Last year during the white elephant party Abby had for her Ambassadors I put Mere Christianity in as my gift. It is a classic and I found it at a thrift store for 50 cents. It went over well, being stolen a few times, ending with a person who did not have a copy of it. So I said, "Next year I am going to bring an entire set of the Harry Potter books to one of these." So far, so good.


(I don't know why the picture is sideways...tried to fix it many times)

Yesterday, as I was thinking about how easy this has been, how I have 4 of the 7 Potter books and have only spent $2.50, I started thinking about what other book collections I could acquire full sets of and then give away. I think I am going to attempt the Narnia collection and the LOTR collection. Those would be fun gifts right?

Also, I have already begun trying to build a full set of the Narnia books with the old numbering. You know, where The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is listed as book 1 and The Magicians Nephew is book 6. If any of you come across one of these old books (they stopped printing them in this order in the 70s or 80s I think) and want to donate it to my collection, it would be much appreciated.

Addendum 1:
I went to the thrift store the evening after I wrote this post and found and old version of The Last Battle. It is an adventure, a treasure hunt every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment